Broccoli has large green flower heads. The mass of flower heads are surrounded by leaves. It has a tree like structure branching out from an edible stalk. It is ideally grown in raised beds. Keep clear of weeds and do not allow to flower as it will stop growing. Harvest 10 or 11 weeks after planting.
How to Grow Broccoli
- Add some lime to the soil as Brassica`s prefer an alkaline soil
- Ensure the soil after diggging over is firmed in. You can walk up and down the soil to compact it down
- Keep soil moist but not to wet
- Cover crops to prevent pests such as Cabbage White Butterfly (a builders debris netting is often used)
- a high nitrogen feed (chicken manire pellets) when planting and again early september will increase crop size