Spring cabbages are smaller than summer varieties. It is classed as a heavy feeding plant so add plenty of garden compost. This is a delicious vegetable that is tender and can be one of the first crops to enjoy in the Spring.
How to Grow Cabbage
- Add some lime to the soil as Brassica`s prefer an alkaline soil
- Ensure the soil after diggging over is firmed in. You can walk up and down the soil to compact it down
- Keep soil moist but not to wet
- Cover crops to prevent pests such as Cabbage White Butterfly (a builders debris netting is often used)
- a high nitrogen feed (chicken manire pellets) when planting and again early september will increase crop size